Saturday, April 29, 2006

President Bush says the English language is an important part of the American identity.

"I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English,"

While I never claim to be an expert on the English language, I found it quite amusing that President Bush was lecturing people on learning how to speak it. Highlighted by his quote above, maybe he should adhere to his own advice and enroll in a remedial English course. Below are five examples of his mispronunciations of the English language. How many more can you come up with?

5 Mispronunciations by President Bush
President Bush's pronunciation................Correct Pronunciation
1. a-MERR-ca..............................................a-MER-i-ca (America)
2. NEW-cue-ler...........................................NEW-clee-er (nuclear)
3. JU-ler-ee.................................................JU-wel-ree (jewelry)
4. Anzar.....................................................Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar
5. Ne-VAH-duh...........................................Ne-VAE-duh) (Nevada)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit when heard him yesterday that crossed my mind as well.

:-)

KraZyKaT said...

Jeepmaker... I am not implying that the President is dumb. There is a big difference to having an accent then to be using grammer which is incorrect. The correct verbage for the President would have been..."should learn English", not "ought to".

If the word "should" would only have had a southern draw to it I wouldn't have thought anything of it. But to completely use the wrong vernacular in this instance is unexcusable.

For a President of the United States who received a bachelor’s degree in history from Yale University in 1968, and a Master of Business Administration from Harvard Business School in 1975; I guess I just expected more.

KraZyKaT said...

I am not saying that the use of slang language is necessarily wrong. Hell, we all do it. Things like...

'Ya Know
Aint
uh huh
ought to
wanna

And bad grammer like...

I aint got nothing of anything
I gotta get me one of those...

In the correct setting these are common and accepted in the English language. I personally would not correct anybody on their grammer in a casual, social setting where the BS is flying. However, when you have a Public figure (especially the President of the United States) who is well educated and holds a Public Office of such high caliber preaching the merits of good English, is it to much to ask that he use it himself?

I wonder where his Speech Writer was?

Berserker said...

"to much to ask"

C'mon Kwazy baby!

Ain't English a tough language?

KraZyKaT said...

"to much to ask"

GOT ME!

It ought to read...

too much to ask?

Berserker said...

How would I know?

I murder da lingo with every one of my fat fingered key taps.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I don't know if W's mispronunciations are due to his primary school education, his preschool environment, carelessness, laziness, or whatever.

Clearly, "English as a First Language" is in order.

But, it would destroy the man's charm ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great Theme you have:-

It is a free image hosting site upload image and generate sharing links for easy post on forums and blogs

I wonder if the audience could know the function of the site
Great Features: Free image hosting, Photo hosting, blog image hosting, forum image hosting, easy image hosting
multiple images upload and share Image sharing. It is designed to focus on user experience to do easy
sharing of digital pictures and images with friends and other online audience. (blogs etc). when you select
browsing, the uploaded files will be queued up for upload and upload will start automatically. Check at
this link and experience the difference:-
http://www.imagestored.com/