Saturday, February 04, 2006

Dodge gearing up for Nitro in Toledo

I welcome the addition of the Nitro to the Jeep production line. I had considered buying a Liberty a couple of years back but after driving a Cherokee for 10 years, I just could not get use to the "cutesy" design. The Liberty lacked the rugged appearance and praticality that I came to appreciate in the Jeep name. It was designed to attract the female buyer and looked more at home on the Asphalt Urban Trail then the Rubicon Trail. A vehicle for ex-soccer moms who needed a little more spice in their daily travel adventures then they received in their trustworthy mini vans. Evidenced by my own observations, it seems that 8 out of 10 people behind the wheel of the Liberty are of the female gender carefully applying their makeup in the vanity mirrors. With the Liberty I defiently did not get the feeling "It's a Jeep thing...You wouldn't understand".

Along comes the Nitro with it's more truck like appearance, larger cargo area and 4.0 liter V-6. All the ingredients to appeal to a more masculine audience seem to be in place. I am a little disappointed that it doesn't carry the JEEP badge and have the 8 slot grille in front but this may be a small price to pay if it gives me the same endurance and performance that I have become accustomed to in my Old Jeep Cherokee. The lack of all that Chrome up front is a plus too. The fact that it only is estimated at 18 miles to a gallon in the city and 23 on the highway with the 3.7-liter V-6, while the 4.0-liter V-6 will get 17 miles to a gallon in the city and 21 on the highway gives me pause. I was hoping for a little better mileage after getting used to near 30 mpg in my current vehicle. Twice a week fill ups at $2.30 a gallon doesn't bold well for my starving wallet.

Overall I think the Nitro will be welcome addition to the Chrysler line-up and the Toledo Jeep assembly plant. It will help our local work force in securing good paying jobs for a few more years and hopefully be the impetus for future production of Chrysler vehicles here.

News has it that a major participant in Chrysler efforts to secure 3rd party suppliers and manufacturing locate directly on their assembly grounds has pulled out. Michigan's Haden International Inc., which built and was to operate a paint shop under a ground-breaking agreement with DaimlerChrysler AG, is out effective immediately, union officials were told yesterday. (See article from the Blade). Maybe we will only be able to get the Nitro in an unpainted steel grey. If only they paint it in any other color then RED!

No comments: