Friday, February 10, 2006

Toledo Baby Boomer

After reading Lisa Renee's posting at Liberal Common Sense it got me to thinking. So I have decided to go back in time and share with you some of my fond memories of what is was like to be a Baby Boomer in Toledo, Ohio.

You know you are a Baby Boomer from Toledo if you remember....
-the Jesse James and Maumee Drive-in theaters instead of Super Cinemas,
-Bargain City and Ontarios instead of Walmart and Costco,
-Walk-up windows at McDonalds instead of Drive-Up windows,
-Lane Drug Store instead of Walgreen's and CSV,
-Franklin Ice Cream instead of Franklin Park Mall..errr... Westfield Shopping Center (I use to love watching the airplane shows on Sunday afternoons),
-when Blackberries were something you put in a pie not something to read your email,
-the Toledo Blades and Goldiggers instead of the Toledo Storm,
-when Toledo had 2 daily newspapers...The Times and Blade,
-riding in the backseat of the family stationwagon and facing the traffic coming up from behind,
-"It's 11:00, do you know where your children are?",
-3 full pillowcases of Halloween candy that you could eat without being x-rayed first,
-when you heard the word "GREEN" you thought of Mr. Greenjeans, not Greenday or hybrid cars,
-an Ice Cold 16oz. bottle of Coca-Cola in real glass bottles,
-when for a quarter you could get a souvineer wax lion at the Toledo Zoo and watch it being made to boot,
-that rookie Nolan Ryan card in the spokes of your bicycle,
-400 C.I.D. instead of 2.3 litre V-6,
-riding your Schwinn fastback with Banana seat and not wearing a helment and knee pads,
-the giant cheese wheel at Tidkies,
-Community Traction instead of TARTA,
-not knowing what snowdays were or ever dream of Air-Conditioning in the classroom,
-it took like 2 hrs to get to the Toledo Airport,
-Holland and Oregon were little hick towns in the country,...

I hope I have been able to help you remember!

2 comments:

KraZyKaT said...

In case you were wondering I just thought the site needed a little color!

Unknown said...

I definitely remember those days. When I go to Dudleys for one of their most awesome burgers, I sit and look at the mural of those old Jesse James Drive in says. I remember party lines and when you'd tell someone your phone number was "Evergreen"....

:-)